Welcome to the physiogain community and today, we are going to talk about mobility exercises to improve muscle flexibility. these exercises are going to be muscle-specific so sit tight and enjoy the journey of flexibility with us.
The main goal of these exercises is to increase the range of motion (ROM) at a given joint by altering the extensibility of the muscle that produces movement at that joint.
Sitting hamstring stretch
- person is sitting with a leg to be stretched straightout in front of the body with the knee fully extended.
- You need to maintain a neutral position of spin and starts flexing at the hip.
- You need to start to reach down the leg (as far as possible) with both hands until a mild tension is felt in the posterior thigh.
- Person should lean forward by bringing the chest forward.
- Bending at the lumbar spine should be minimal.
Standing hamstring stretch
- Person is standing erect with one foot on floor (no rotation at hip) and other one on elevated surface.
- elevated surface should be high enough to cause a gentle stretch in the posterior thigh when the person leans forward.
- Important – Donot allow the weight bearing foot to externally rotate as it will stop causing the effective stretching of hamstring muscle.
- Person needs to maintain a neutral position of the spine and start flexing at the hip.
- Person start to lean forward by bringing his/her chest forward until a mild tension is felt in posterior thigh.
- bending at the lumbar spine should be minimal.
Prone quadriceps stretch
- Person is lying on his chest or stomach.
- hip should be placed in neutral position and not abducted.
- Person reaches back with one of his arm and grasp the foot and tries to pull heel towards the buttocks.
- this should continues until a mild tension is felt in the anterior thigh.
Standing quadriceps stretch
- Person is standing erect and holding onto a chair, if necessary.
- Hip remains neutral and not abducted or flexed.
- Person reaches back with a hand to grasp the foot.
- he tries to pull the heel towards the buttocks.
- A mild tension is felt in the anterior thigh.
Modified lotus position
- You need to sit with the bending knees and placing the soles of feet together while maintaing the neutral position of spine.
- you need to grasp both feet with hands.
- You need to pull yourself forward with hands and allows the knee to drop to the floor until you can feel a mild tension in the groin area.
- You can increase the strength of the stretch by pushing the legs into more abduction.
- You need to sit with knees fully extended.
- Spread your legs into abduction.
- Bend forward from the hip.
- You need to slide your hand forward until you can feel a mild tension.
- You can modify it by bending the trunk to the left or right and sliding your hands down the leg.
Hip flexor stretches
- you need to stand with one leg forward.
- You need to move forward in the lunge position until the forward leg is directly over the ankle as shown in this image.
Iliotibial band stretches
- you need to stand in front of wall with one hand on the wall as shown in the image.
- With your legs crossed, you need to lean towards one side causing a stretch at the band.
Calf muscle stretches
- you should stand straight with one leg forward and ankle is dorsiflexed.
- You need to flex at your hip and anke should undergo in dorsiflexion as shown in the GIF.
- you will feel a stretch in the calf muscles.
You need to go to this link below for the mobility exercises for the upper body.